Studio M scoops top award for The Pavilion, Dubai
The International Interior Design Association (IIDA) announced the winners of ‘Office Exhibition Interior Design Competition’ and ‘Middle East Office and Hospitality Product Design Awards’ at The Office Exhibition held in Dubai last month.
These awards are given to companies in recognition of their design excellence among Middle East-based projects as well as products displayed at the show.
Launched earlier this year, ‘The Office Exhibition Interior Design Competition’ sought to identify outstanding commercial fit-out projects in the Middle East over the last three years in the categories of corporate space, education, healthcare, hospitality, government, restaurant, retail and fitness.
IIDA says the designers of the winning projects demonstrated an understanding of futuristic design and have incorporated creativity and ingenious techniques to deliver projects that are over and above the client’s brief.
The overall ‘Best of Competition’ award was won by UAE-based design firm Studio M, for its design of community centre The Pavilion, Dubai. Its project also scooped the ‘Best of Category’ award for best Cultural/Educational/Institutional Space.
The other award-winning firms in their respective categories were:
• Sima Malak & Alssamoure Design Associates, Saudi Arabia, Best Corporate Space – Large, for the Arcapita Building, Manama, Bahrain;
• Naga Architects, Designers & Planners, UAE, Best Corporate Space – Small, for the French Trade Commission, Dubai;
• Wilson Associates, UAE, Best Hotel, for the Armani Hotel, Dubai; and
• Draw Link Group, UAE, Best Restaurant, for Roberto’s Restaurant.
The Middle East Office and Hospitality Product Design Awards sought to recognise innovation, aesthetic appeal and functionality in product design from participating exhibitors at The Office Exhibition and The Hotel Show.
The winning products were selected for their sophisticated and minimalistic appearance as well as for improving efficacy in their function, according to the judges.
The overall ‘Best of Competition’ award was presented to Andreu World for its ‘Sail’ chair. This high tech chair blends polypropylene and fiberglass allowing it to adapt its form to offer maximum comfort for the user.
Recipients of the best product awards in their respective categories were:
• Favaretto and Partner, Best Group Seating for ‘Marea’;
• Andreu World, Best Seating – Guest for ‘Woody Collection’;
• Andreu World, Best Seating – Stacking/Training for ‘Sail Chair’;
• Paratoner Designing, Best Seating – Benches for ‘Nar’;
• Flat Technology Limited, Best Accessories or Specialties – Operating Supplies or Amenities, for ‘Flat Technology’;
• Bose UAE Trading, Best Security/Technology – Entertainment Systems for Bose CineMate 1 SR Home Theatre Speaker System;
• EDW Link SAS, Best Accessories or Specialties – Hardware/Decorative Metals or Plastics, for Cocoon and Stars Spheres;
• WPC Corporation, Best Applied Finishes or Materials – Wallcoverings/Treatments for Einwood; and
• Martex, Best Case Goods and Freestanding Furniture – Series/Collections for Kyo.